Saturday, January 30, 2010

Winter Snowman


First of all, a huge THANK YOU to Kari over at Ucreate for featuring me on her awesome blog and helping my blog get off to a great start!

I have to admit, I am feeling a little bit nervous now! Hopefully I can keep the cute crafts coming! It will be a great opportunity to stretch my creativity!


My family moved from Utah to the St. Louis area about 4 years ago. One of the biggest changes for us was the weather. It was quite a change coming from a place with lots of snow to a place where it snows so infrequently that school is cancelled for any amount of snow. I missed the snow more that I thought I would! But last night, we got an inch or two of white stuff!

So since my kids were able to do this today...


I am going to post some winter things I've made.


I made these by simply cutting a 2x4 into random sized blocks and painting them various shades of blue. Then I cut some white vinyl with my Silhouette digital cutter. I LOVE that thing! I use it for practically everything I make. It is awesome. But if you don't have a digital cutter and wanted to make these you can just hand cut letters from white card stock and Mod Podge it on. Then I just embellished it with cute snowman stickers and I have a cute reminder that there is snow somewhere!

I actually saw this snowman at a friends house and had to copy it. I take pictures all the time at friends houses or stores when I see something I love. My cell phone is full of pictures of projects I want to make! So since I can't build a real snowman, I'll make this one instead! For this little guy I took a 2x2 and cut it into a three blocks (1.5", 2.5" and 3.5"). I painted them white, sanded the edges and antiqued it a bit with some walnut stain. Then I added buttons, used pastels for his cheeks, a Sharpie for the eyes, and cut a nose from some card stock. I thought he needed something more so I raided my kids "warm fuzzy" jar and used pompoms and some jewelry wire for his earmuffs. Cute little snowman!

So enjoy the snow! Whether it is real or not!

6 comments:

  1. That is SO stinkin Adorable!! I'm so going to make some of those!!

    Welcome to the Blogging world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love see those woodblock things, they are so cute. But I guess it's not exactly something in my comfort zone, so I don't have any that I've made, so I should try it out! Home Depot is literally across the street from me, so why not right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I know you love white hangers, so you should read my blog tomorrow for a cute white hanger Valentine's craft! Honeybearlane.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has a square wooden snow man and he's holding a sign that says. "Not everyone's perfect" It's adorable! I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linds, That is so cute! I want to add that to mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol - I do the same thing!! I sneak around the craft stores trying to hide my cell phone to take pictures of stuff I think I can come home and make!!I saw some snowmen just like this at The Quilted Bear and have a picture on my cell phone to use as my Christmas gifts next year!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!