Friday, January 29, 2010

Valentine Topiary


I don't have very many Valentine decorations, so I decided to remedy that this year. I saw a cute Valentine topiary at Target yesterday, but didn't want to spent 20 bucks on it, so I decided to make my own. I totally LOVE how it turned out. It may just be my favorite project I've ever made! I got most of my supplies at the dollar store and a few at Hobby Lobby. Here is what you need if you decide it's so cute that you need to make one too! Just because you can!

A four inch Styrofoam ball-I got mine at Hobby Lobby for 2 bucks.
A bucket or container for the base-I got mine at Hobby Lobby too.
Styrofoam for the bottom of the bucket-Dollar Store
Floral Moss-Dollar Store
Heart Picks-Dollar Store, I needed about 2 1/2 packages for mine.
Ribbon-I just had some in my stash, but the Dollar Store I was at had a bunch of cute Valentine ribbon.
Adhesive-I used E6000


Here are some my my supplies. Since I am new to the blog thing taking pictures as I go, my project was already mostly done by the time I decided to take a picture!

But first you need to carefully pull the hearts off the wooden picks. There will be a hole in each heart, but they will be hidden, so don't worry about that!

At this point I realized I hadn't gotten anything for the "trunk" of the topiary, but rather than going to the store again, I just gathered up 6-7 of the wooden sticks that I had just pulled the hearts off of, bunched them together and stuck them into the ball. It worked great!

Then just start randomly gluing the hearts onto your ball, leaving spaces between each one.

After that you fill in the cracks with the floral moss. I didn't even glue this stuff on, I just stuffed it into the cracks and it stayed just fine and I didn't have to mess with more glue! This part was a little messy though!

Then put Styrofoam into the bottom of your bucket, stick your topiary in and cover it with more moss.

For the finishing touch, tie a ribbon around the sticks and there you have it! A super cute Valentine topiary for under 10 bucks!


I linked this craft to The Idea Room
and...

Making
Photobucket

It was also featured on:
U Create


I also linked this post to Show and Tell @ Blue Cricket Design.

35 comments:

  1. Jennifer. I get so excited when I find a blog that is brand new like yours. Thanks for sharing it with me and this fabulous tutorial!
    Can't wait to see what else you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute topiary! I have VERY little Valentine decor so I am definitely going to make one of these! Thank you! I found you through Ucreate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here from Ucreate also. LOve, love, love the topiary. Awesome idea! It makes me very excited to follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. also here from ucreate, and this is darling, I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    I have had a horrible time trying to find fun Valentine decorating ideas, so I am thrilled to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I love the added touch of the ever so popular moss! You did a great job - thanks for sharing! Welcome to blogland =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that IS cute. Great recovery on forgetting the "trunk" and using the sticks - I never would have known you hadn't planned that! Great start to your blog, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your topiary, it looks pretty easy. You're pretty crafty! I'm going to follow you and see what else you do! Stop by and visit me sometime!
    http://songberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited to see another craft blog! Can't wait to see what else you create!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice to meet you and i love your topiary... i am now a follower too ~ come see me when you have time!
    patricia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go! So cute!! I already added you to my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to the blog world! I'm new too :) Can't wait to see all the crafts you make!
    www.betterlifebags.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great brand-new blog! I, too, have a brand new blog that I would love for you to check out, and I have some Valentine's crafts on there too. This one is a great idea, perfect for low-budget crafters like myself. How did you get featured on UCreate? Did you contact Kari? My blog is honeybearlane.blogspot.com. Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is super cute...I might just have to make one...=D

    ReplyDelete
  14. very cute! found you on ucreate! excited for things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the success of your new blog! Look at how many followers you have already! You're famous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on your very first crafting post. Beautiful pictures too. Love it. Keep the inspiration coming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I have most of that at my house already!! I used the heart picks from the Dollar store as well - http://attemptingtobecrafty.blogspot.com/2010/01/valentines-tree.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is adorable- and I love a good dollar store craft! We need a hobby lobby where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My friend found your blog and we made this craft the very next day, we love it!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I love it! I like it even better than the felt ones! Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found your post through Blue Cricket Design and just love it! Your blog is great...I'll definitely be visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is ADORABLE ... I love it! I found your post through Blue Cricket Designs ... so happy to have stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jen,
    Love your topiary! One of the prettiest that I've seen! Thanks for linking up.
    happy crafting,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved your topiary so much. I let my daughter & nephew each make one. It isn't as cute as yours but they had a great time making them. Thanks for the idea!
    http://billyandgretchen.blogspot.com/2010/02/love-is-in-air.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so Cute! What a great Idea!
    Daisy~

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute! I bought those same hearts at the Dollar Tree yesterday (the sparkly pink ones) but I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's so beautiful. If you can make it smaller, I think it's perfect for special gift.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!