Saturday, February 20, 2010

More Topiaries-St. Patrick's and Easter style

My Valentine Heart topiary is one of my very favorite things that I have ever made. So, I decided to give the idea a twist for St. Patrick's Day and Easter. And again, I LOVE how they turned out.

Here is the Easter version...


Here are the supplies I used...


And once again, the Dollar Tree came through with the picks, the hanging eggs, and another lovely pot, this one yellow. The Styrofoam balls come in 2 packs...so that means I need to make at least one more topiary since I have one left!


I did this one about the same way I did the Valentine one that I showed you here.


You pretty much just take the picks and string off the eggs and glue them on like this...



Then you just fill in the spaces with floral moss, no glue required.

I love how it looks like an Easter Egg nest!


Here are some tips for the egg one.

I was going to paint the pot to cover the egg. But now I think I am going to just be lazy and turn the flowers to the back. But you could paint it or over it with paper if that would bug you. :)
The eggs come off better if you twist them off instead of pull them off.
The holes are a little harder to hide since the eggs don't lay as close to the ball as the hearts did. If you point the hole down they hide better. Plus use lots of moss.
Since just using the sticks off the picks for the trunk worked so well on the heart one, I did the same here. I actually used the egg picks on the St. Patty's one too.
I needed three packages of eggs, unlike the picture that just shows two. I had already started taking them apart when I remembered to take a picture. I get to excited to get stuff done that I forget the picture part a lot!


Here is the St. Patrick's Day version...




I again hit up the dollar store for some shamrock garland. I used another 4 inch Styrofoam ball from Hobby Lobby.



To start I just stuck the end of the garland into the ball like this...




then just started wrapping it around the ball. Every wrap or so I used some straight pins to hold it all into place, like this...



I used two garlands to warp it to cover all the Styrofoam and to make it nice and puffy looking. Then I took this lovely light green pot from the Dollar Tree...



and covered it with shamrock scrapbook paper to hide that not very St. Patty's like flower.

And this is what I ended up with!

LOVE IT!!




By the end of the year, I am thinking I will have a topiary for every season! They just turn out so cute!


I linked this post to:

The Girl Creative

Making



15 comments:

  1. i love the easter one! (not that i dont like the st pats day one...im just exzcited for easter to be here!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both great ideas! I really like the Easter one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man!! Those are so cool!! All you crafty people make me so jealous!! Whenever I try to do something like that it does not come out nice like yours did. Gorgeous - both of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those! Easy enough but oh so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these topiaries! For the Easter topiary, is the styrofoam ball 4 inches?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the Styrofoam balls are 4 inches for both of them. Go ahead and make them, they're EASY!

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome idea! I love the egg one. Simple yet lovely :)

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute ideas...they would make great party centerpieces too. Thanks for sharing you great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Cute ideas! Gotta love the Dollar Tree. They look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! What would we do without dollar tree? I am thinking that I just might have to make one of these. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the topiaries. I made your valentines one and now look forward to making your Easter one as well!! I follow you and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen,
    LOVING the topiaries! Thanks for joining the party! don't forget to link back :)
    happy crafting,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured this at somedaycrafts.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable! Love them! Thanks for checking out my blog!

    XOXO,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!